103/2428
[ stop the slideshow ]

Abbaye de la Cambre

IMG_0328.JPG Strépy-Thieu Boat LiftThumbnailsVUB - Vrije Universiteit BrusselStrépy-Thieu Boat LiftThumbnailsVUB - Vrije Universiteit BrusselStrépy-Thieu Boat LiftThumbnailsVUB - Vrije Universiteit BrusselStrépy-Thieu Boat LiftThumbnailsVUB - Vrije Universiteit BrusselStrépy-Thieu Boat LiftThumbnailsVUB - Vrije Universiteit BrusselStrépy-Thieu Boat LiftThumbnailsVUB - Vrije Universiteit BrusselStrépy-Thieu Boat LiftThumbnailsVUB - Vrije Universiteit Brussel

Duck pond south of the chapel, in the Maelbeek valley, with the site originally founded in 1196. Buildings were destroyed in the religious wars of the 1600s and 1700s, and rebuilt in 18th century. Repressed during the French Revolution, the buildings after the abbey closed were used for a military school, and occupied by Germans in WWI. In 1921, a group moved to preserve the abbey, and started reconstruction in 1924. In 1953, the property was designated a historic site. (Abbaye de la Cambre, Ixelles, Brussels, Belgium) 20211110